Brief history of the department
The department of history, Jorhat College has been started from 1962 when the college was established itself. The department of history came into being as separate department from the very beginning of the college i.e., 1962. The founder faculties of the department of History are:
- Ghanashyam Neog
- Late Arun Chandra Puzari
- Renu Dutta
- Mr. Hemakanta Neog
Presently the department has four fulltime teachers. The academic condition in terms of quality of faculty and learning transfer process is healthy and adequate. All the teachers of the department are sincerely engaged in scholarly pursuits.
Mission and Vision
It has been an earnest endeavour on the part of the department to undertake number of academic and co-curricular activities. The department also undertakes various initiatives as its responsibility towards the society.
- Semester system (Regular) : History (Major) and History (Pass course)
- CBCS: History (CORE) , History (Generic Elective)
*It also conducted an Add On Course on Tourism for several years.
Features of the department
The department has its own digital classroom well equipped with projectors, projector screen. Now, the intake capacity of the department has increased to 40 students. The department provides the students e-learning materials through audio lectures, youtube videos. The faculties of the department has its own youtube channels provided study materials through online. Besides these the department successfully organised several state level and national level seminars, workshops and symposium. Late Arun Chandra Puzari Memorial Lecture has been organised by the department successfully.
The department publishes a peer reviewed ISSN journal annually. In 2018, the HISTORY Study circle inaugurated a Student Bulletin Board, “HISTORIA”.
- Dr. Dhrubajyoti Bezbaruah from History was not only the first “First class Holder” of the department but also of the entire college.
- Dr. Bijay krishna Pachani later became the principal of CKB College, Teok.
- Mr. Santanu Puzari , passed in 1991 is the current president of Jorhat District Sports Association (JDSA) and vice president of Assam Football Association ( AAFA)
- Mr. Pranab Dutta , Associate professor at Tinsukia College is currently the head of the History Department.
- Mr. Ripunjay Nath, (passed out from the history department in 2017 ) cleared his post graduation degree in history from Nalanda University and also got opportunity to be a part of various research projects funded by several international agencies. He had successfully conducted a project on the local narratives of Partition of India, details of which are uploaded in the Standford University’s library.
Guest Lecture Programme
The department arranges guest lecture programme annually where reputed scholars from different parts of Assam delivered valuable lectures. Among them are:
- Prof. D. Nath, Dibrugarh University
- Dr. Ranajit Sabhapandit, Associate Prof., BBK college
- Dr. Arupjyoti Saikia, IIT, Guwahati
- Dr. Ajit Kr. Dutta, Retired vice principal, J.B. Autonomous College
- Prof. Mridupavan Goswami, Retired Principal Jorhat B.T. College
- Dr. Chandan Sharma, Associate prof, Dibrugarh University
The department successfully organised two national level seminars , and one state level workshop.
Three faculties had successfully completed three minor projects funded by UGC
- Advertisement in Print Media in Colonial Assam: A Historical Analysis- Dr. Soumitra Puzari.
- History of Prison and Prison Administration in Assam- Dr. Soumitra Puzari
- Problems of prospects of tourism in Jorhat district